Its his laugh that haunts me the most. It echoes through the hallows of my heart until it hurts to remember him and just as the tears seem to melt into slumbering darkness I see his smiling face.
-------------------------------------------------------I was sitting on the curb with my fingers crossed waiting for my grandma hoping she didn't forget to pick me up again. That was one of the perks of being sentenced to endure the sweltering heat of summer school in this desert they call a town. I had already been waiting for quite some time when I decided to call it quits and head to the office to call thats when I heard it. The sound was faint at first, but I turned around just in time to to catch the bright orange car pull around the corner. As the car sped closer I could hear the music oozing its way out, the man made breeze brushing lightly across my face relieving me from the horrid heat before the car came to an abrupt stop right at the curb.
"Hey moms sorry I'm late grandma didn't tell me to pick you up until it was late..." he said as he lowered down the music, "so I was in a hurry sorry you had to wait."
"It's ok," I said while gazing out the window.
"What's wrong moms why you lookin so down," he asked while switching gears.
I couldn't respond the truth was I didn't know what was bothering me . Perhaps it was having to depend on everyone else to help with burdens intended for parents. I continued staring out the window as he blared the music and sped off. I had always enjoyed riding in the car with my uncle. The way the music was loud enough to drown out even the worst of your thoughts and the world around you blurred. The wind swirling around the car brushing against your face. Breathe, it was the only place I could take a breath of fresh air, or so it seemed at the time. Exhale, as he slides his way around a corner and changes gears so quick I have to ask.
"WHERE ARE WE GOING?" I compete with the speakers.
"HUH?!" he yells while lowering the volume, "hahaha I'm just kidding moms..."
"so where are we going?" I ask again.
"Does it matter?"
"...no"
"Well, then shut up and enjoy the ride" he chuckles as he blasts the music an darts off.
------------------------------------------------------
In my dreams its here I wish to stay the music blaring, the adrenaline rush, a brief moment of precious time from my uncle. It's here that I wish to stay.
-------------------------------------------------------
It only took about five minutes to reach the crumbling burger joint. It was this little hut on the side of the highway with nothing but what seemed like a ghost town as its view.
"I swear moms they have the best burgers and vanilla pepsi," he said while once again fighting with the music, "...its kind of like my hide out."
He shut off the car and fiddled with his keys before saying, "Look, mom's you can say nothings wrong but I know you moms I can tell when something is bothering you and you never talk about it, thats not good moms you can't handle everything on your own."
I tried so hard to force back the tears, but they just fell limply to my lap.
"Its ok...Its gonna be ok," he said while hugging me, "Im here moms."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Im here," he always told me.
"Im here" he beckons through dreamland
------------------------------------------------------One of my memories of my uncle albert.
This one's for you big head, the story isn't over.
Happy Birthday Albert.
January 15, 1983 - February 1, 2010
XOXO;;
U.
No comments:
Post a Comment